Friday 15 January 2010

Day 61

Wow look day 61! Looks like this blog lives on..haha..

Early early early day today. The train arrived in Cook, Australia's Ghost town, population 4. Most of the houses, buildings and schools are deserted now, when the trains became privatized. It is HOT. We are starting to feel the australian desert/outback now. Had a bit of a run around, that felt great after being cooped up in a seat for days. To my delight I spot wild brumbies (wild horses) running alongside the tracks. Gorgeous muscular chestnut bodies and flying mane...so beautiful. I also spot wild rabbit, sheep and eagles, and I eat even more meat pie. The cafeteria car's air-conditioning is broken and it is a sauna in there!

Much much later, in the evening, we arrive in Kalgoorlie, a gold mining town (not a ghost town). A lot of the mining in Kalgoorlie has fed the growth and boom in Perth city, there is a lot of money to be made in this little country town. Did another town tour and they take us to the "Super pit" (a hole 300m in the ground) and around to the local taverns, hotels and brothels. Everything you'd need in a desert mining town really...

Yet another long night as I try to get comfortable, tomorrow we arrive in Perth and I have lots of luggage to bring to where I'm staying.





No comments:

Post a Comment